Friday, January 20, 2017

Having Some Fun With Panels

Last night at Oconomowoc Quilt Guild our speaker was a guild member.  Dawn Thurow, owner of The Country Quilter. She lectured on different ways to use panels. She also had an awesome trunk show of quilts she has made with panels.  All the variations she showed were amazing.  She gave me permission to share a few of them with you.  Dawn has been quilting for many years and has her own long arm business.  She has quilted many of my quilts.  All I say to her is "go for it " and she works her magic and I get the quilt back and it is beautiful. Here are a few of Dawn's Panel Quilts.
Tree of Life made by Dawn Thurow

   
Beatles panel cut up made by Dawn Thurow








So as Dawn was talking last night about panel quilts I thought to myself I know I made at least 2.  I realized that I had made more as I was going through my photos to find panel quilts for this blog post.  Most of my panel quilts are quite simple except the one I made for my husband.  A flannel quilt that I love to cuddle up under. 
My husband's quilt before quilting. 



My girlfriend's daughter loves horses so I made this very simple quilt for her. 

Darya's Quilt ( which I quilted myself ) 

Then I made a panel quilt for my dad. He owned a Cessna 180 and would fly up to our cottage in Canada to go fishing.  So he really loved this quilt. 


Mrs. Blackford's Quilt. 

 My son had the best teaching in all the world.  I knew she loved Cats.  So I had been collecting Laurel Burch fabrics and decided to take one of the panels and make her a quilt. 




The very last panel quilt was this one.  It is quilted now and I just have to put a binding on it.  It turned out really cool.. I have Jen Wehr to thank for the pattern.  They had it at Patchworks and it was simple enough for me but, really gave the panel a dramatic border. 

So I guess I made a few more panel quilts than I thought.  And I plan on making more.  Dawn gave us a challenge last night to make a panel quilt by the May meeting.  So I think I am going to try and get one done.  I have about 10 panels that I have to choose from.  Then the quilts that are made will be donated after the meeting.  

One more thing.  I want to show you 2 books.  One I have and one Dawn brought last night.  If you need some ideas for panel quilts/ or table runners check out these books.  
I would love to see what you do with your panels.  Send me an email at fabricfuser3@wi.rr.com with a photo.  I may revisit this topic again down the line and would love to share some of your photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment