Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Oh No...not a Quarter Inch Seam!!

Well, those of you who know me know I'm not much into accuracy. I hate sewing quarter inch seams. Even with my 1/4" seam foot I get them wrong. Using Bali Pops that are not an accurate 2 1/2 inch didn't help with my daughters quilt. But, I fixed them and used 1/8" seams. Well that will probably come back to bite me.. But, I had no choice.
A good friend of mine Chris Kirsch showed me a way to mark my machine's quarter inch accurately. And so that if I started a project on one machine I could accurately mark the other machine so they both will jive. This is how you do it.
Using a lined notecard you place it under your machine and put your needle into the first line from the bottom.
Putting a piece of tape right along the edge of the card. This will mark my quarter inch. I can take that card and accurately mark my other machine. So they with both be the same 1/4".
When I used my 1/4" foot my seam allowances were always to big.
So do you want to know why I needed this accurate seam allowance.
I found a pattern by Mark Lipinski in the Love of Quilting magazine called Curvy. And yes it really needs to be accurate. I cut out all the fabrics, I decided to use Marcia Derse and a white on white zig zag fabric that I fell in love with as soon as it came in at Patched Works. Knowing how bad I am at piecing I decided to take on this challenge. So I started it today. I have made one block just to see if I was accurate. I found it was ok. Maybe just a few seams were a bit larger than 1/4". So I took them apart and resewed. I think I am getting the hang of it. Sooooo then next challenge is the curved piecing. Again if you know me I never use pins. Well, in this case I am. I love this quilt so much I am willing to give up my throw to the wind attitude and make it right. So far it is going pretty well.
Here is the block before it is cut into a rectangle. And then after I trimmed it. It is a little short by 1/8"or less in 2 places. So I will make a note of that and continue on my journey making all the strips, Cutting out the curves and piecing them. This quilt might take me awhile since I am trying so hard to make it right. Wish me luck on this journey.
To see more of Chris Kirsch's tips visit her blog http://chrisquilts.net/blog/ You will be glad you did!!
PS.. don't ask me where my Tula Blocks are... I gave them up... they are incredibly hard for me to piece since the block pieces are so very small.. Maybe after I master this I will go back and try and make some more of the Tula Blocks.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! Great eye candy!! I'm going to the Quilt Expo in September and I'm taking a class with Chris Kirsch!! I just saw a link to her blog. I live in Indiana but my brother lives in Madison so I decided to come up and I'm taking 5 classes!! Very excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. Ill be at Quilt Expo too.. Only giving 2 lectures this year but, it's always fun.. Chris and I always room together.. She is one of my best friends!! See you there!!

      Delete